As I mentioned in my previous articles, balance is the key to good nutrition. What are we looking for in a balanced diet? One of the most important things is the PH balance, or acid-alkaline balance. PH balance ranges from total acidity of 0.0 to alkalinity of 14.0, with 7.0 being neutral. Ideally we aim to stay at a 7.0 or a neutral state to be in balance. If your diet is too acidic, in the long run it will lead to numerous problems, which include inflammations, tissue degeneration, etc. So, the more vegetables you’ll eat, the more alkaline your body will be; the more meats you’ll eat, the more your body will become very acidic.
Let’s talk about symptoms of high acidity in the system:
- Heart disease due to inflammation (acid is the principle cause of heart disease)
- Arthritis, bone degeneration,
- Gastritis, stomach ulcers
- Stress, nervousness, depression
- Itchiness in eyes, conjunctivitis, inflamed eyelids
- Hair falling out, nails braking easily, dryness of skin and hair
- Muscle spasms, headaches, inflamed gums, loose teeth, mouth ulcers.
Symptoms of being too Alkaline or Alkalosis:
- Low stomach acid
- Hypothyroidism, low energy, fatigue, always being cold, lack of drive
Now I am going to show you a pyramid of foods from 1 through 10, with 1 being most acidic, and 10 the most alkaline.
Highly Acidic Foods (1-4):
- All sugary carbonated drinks
Acidic Foods (4-5):
- Red meats , vinegars, cheese, alcohol, beer, nuts, seeds, eggs. Chocolate.
Less Acidic (5-7):
- Coffee, tea, fruit juices, bread, most grains, poultry, fish.
Neutral Foods (7):
- Water, melons, apples, peppers, cucumbers, blueberries, apricots, peaches, nectarines, pumpkin, mango, strawberries, persimmons.
More Alkaline Foods (8):
- Tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, pineapples, lemons, citruses, cherries, pomegranates, berries, kiwi, wild rice, turnip, corn.
Even More Alkaline Foods (9):
- Avocados, lettuce, celery, sweet potatoes, papaya, beets, egg plant, green beens.
Most Alkaline (10):
- Broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, limes, kale, collard green, chlorophyll, asparagus, onion, spinach, cabbage, okra, lemons, figs.
In our diet we need a balance of acid and alkaline. Keep in mind that a person can go into acid state faster by eating too much of meat products and drinking alcohol. To balance out your acidic state, try to stay on 70% alkaline and 30% acidic foods to keep your body healthy.
By: Raphaela Sorkin