QiGong is an ancient practice combining breathing, movement, and meditation. It is a part of Chinese Medicine that works with the Qi (a person’s energy) to improve health conditions. Unlike yoga, QiGong can be performed by people who are suffering from back pain, among other problems. QiGong has many different styles, but one of the most famous QiGong exercises is called the “Six Healing Sounds”, which involves the formation of sounds that cleanse, energize, and balance internal organs. Six Healing sounds pertain to each organ, and the beauty of these exercises is that they are done in a sitting position, which can be done anywhere and by anyone. People that have back problems or other health concerns can easily do these exercises.
The Six Healing Sounds are related to five elements and their organs. You can do these exercises in a sequence, starting with the liver and ending with triple burner (which is the sixth healing sound and pertains to the meridian system that passes through three sections of the body, and relates to all the organs). For each sound that you breath in, you must meditate and imagine yourself getting rid of bad energy from that particular organ. Here is a list of sounds:
- Liver- when you breath in you must imagine the color green, because it pertains to this organ and the element wood. When you breath out the sound of this organ is “shhhhhhh”. When you breathe out, imagine getting rid of anger, anxiety, and imagine that you are detoxifying your liver. Do this exercise 3 to 6 times.
- Heart- when you inhale, imagine the color red as it pertains to the fire element, and the sound when you exhale is “hawwwww”. Imagine you are getting rid of moodiness, heart disease, pain, as you detox your heart. This can be done 3 to 6 times.
- Spleen- when you inhale imagine the color yellow, which pertains to the earth element. When you exhale the sound of this organ is “whoooo”. Imagine you are getting rid of worry, dampness, heat, and stomach problems as you cleanse this organ. This can be done 3 to 6 times.
- Lungs- when you inhale imagine a pure white color as it pertains to the metal element. When you exhale the sound of this organ is “ssssss”. Imagine you are getting rid of sorrow, grief, sadness, as you strengthen this organ. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
- Kidneys- when you breathe in imagine a bright blue light, and when you exhale the sound of this organ is “fooooo”, as if you are blowing out a candle. As you exhale, imagine getting rid of back pain, fatigue, dizziness, as you restore the kidney organ. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
- Triple Burner- this exercise can be done before going to sleep and actually can be done lying down, because it promotes relaxation, and good sleep. Close your eyes, inhale and exhale with the sound of “heeeee”, and imagine feeling light, empty of all bad emotions, and relaxed. Repeat 3 to 6 times.
These exercises can be done every day, and can also be done one at a time, or in a sequence I just showed you. Feel healthy.
By: Raphaela Sorkin